Graduate Admissions

Graduate Admissions (Frequently Asked Questions)

How To Apply

How do I apply to a graduate program at Cleveland State University?
You may use the online application or download and print the paper application.

What materials do I need to submit?

  • Transcripts: You must submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended. An "official transcript" is sent directly from the institution to our office. If you attended Cleveland State University the Graduate Admissions staff will obtain that transcript. Graduate Admissions will accept hand-delivered transcripts if they are presented in the issuing institution's sealed envelope and bear the appropriate seals and signatures.
  • Application Fee: Degree-seeking, certificate, and licensure applicants must pay a one-time, non-refundable application fee of $30.00. The fee can be paid electronically through the on-line application, or it may be paid by check or money order. Make the check payable to Cleveland State University and send the check to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
  • Test Scores (GRE, GMAT, MAT): Not all programs require test scores. Check the program's admission requirements in the Graduate Catalog.
    For information on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) visit
    For information on the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) visit
    For information on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) visit This test is administered by the CSU Testing Center, phone 216-687-2272.
  • Letters of Recommendation: Not all programs require letters of recommendation. Check the program's admission requirements in the Graduate Catalog. You may create a recommendation account from the graduate admissions web site, download and print a letter of recommendation form for your recommenders to use, or ask your recommenders to e-mail your letter to
  • Personal Statement: Some programs require a personal statement, a statement of purpose, or a statement of research interests. Check the program's admission requirements in the Graduate Catalog. Personal statements should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Please put your name on each page of your personal statement.
  • Supplemental Application: Some programs require a supplemental application. Check the program's admission requirements in the Graduate Catalog. Supplemental applications are submitted directly to the program.

Where do I send my materials?

Send all materials to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Ave., MC 116
Cleveland, Ohio 44115
FAX: (216) 687-5400
PHONE: (216) 687-5599

If delivering documents in person:
Office of Graduate Admissions
Cleveland State University
Main Classroom Room 116
2258 Euclid Avenue Cleveland, OH 44115

Are there Application Deadlines for my Graduate Program?
Some programs have early deadlines or only admit new students for certain terms. If you are applying to a program without a specific deadline, please submit materials six weeks before the start of the term.

How do I check my status of my Application?
Call (216-687-5599), for International Admission Information contact us at 216.687.3910, or e-mail ( the Office of Graduate Admissions to find out what materials have been received. We cannot divulge admissions decisions by telephone.

How do I defer my Application to another semester?
Applications can be deferred for up to one year from the originally requested start term. For example, applications for Fall Semester 2010 can be deferred until Fall Semester 2011. Requests for deferral must be made in writing to this address. You may e-mail your request to; please include your full name, CSU ID number, and your new start date in the body of the e-mail message.

Admission Decisions

How will I know if I have been admitted?
The Office of Graduate Admissions will send e-mail notification to applicants within 24 hours of receiving the decision of your program director. A formal decision letter, which may contain specific enrollment requirements or other instructions, will follow by U.S. Mail. Admission decisions cannot be released by telephone.

What can I do if I am unable to submit all materials in time?
You may defer your application to a future term by mailing a request to this address or faxing it to the Office of Graduate Admissions at (216) 687-5400. The request can also be sent by e-mail to
You may also enroll as a non-degree graduate student by submitting a new application. Not all programs allow non-degree students to enroll in their courses. Check the program list for program contact information.

What is the admission decision process?
The materials you submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions are made available to graduate program directors for review and evaluation. The decision of the graduate program is communicated to Graduate Admissions and the decision is communicated to the applicant by e-mail and U.S. Mail. Check with the graduate program for more details. (see program list)

I was admitted but I cannot attend this semester. Can I defer my enrollment?
You can defer your admission for up to one year. Make the request to the Office of Graduate Admissions in writing, either by US mail, fax (216-687-5400) or e-mail to
Programs which admit students on a cohort basis (i.e., all new students start in Fall Semester only) may require a new application for the next cohort. Check with the program for more information.

My application was denied and it was suggested that I attend as a non-degree student to strengthen my application. How do I do that?
You must file a new application, either by completing a new electronic application or by downloading and printing the paper form (see Non-Degree Students).

My application was denied and I plan to apply again. What do I need to submit?
You must submit a new application, even if you have been attending CSU as a non-degree graduate student. You may not need to re-submit other materials; check with the Office of Graduate Admissions (216-687-5599, to see what materials are on file. You do not need to pay the fee again.

Tuition and Financial Aid

What is Ohio Residency?
Ohio residency guidelines are established by the Ohio Board of Regents (O.B.O.R.), which is the planning and coordinating agency for higher education in the State of Ohio.

What does it cost to attend CSU as a graduate student?
Check the Cashier's Office web page for information on the payment of tuition and fees, including payment plans and third-party payment information. New Tuition and Fees for 2010-2011.

Can graduate students receive financial aid?
Yes. Graduate students should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid Form (FAFSA) at Cleveland State University's code is 003032.
Graduate students are eligible for loans and Federal Work-Study; contact Campus411 at (216) 687-5411.

How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?
Each program has its own process for awarding graduate assistantships, so please contact your program for specific information. General information about graduate assistantships can be found here.

International Degrees/Credentials

I have a degree from a university outside the U.S. How should I apply for admission?
Native citizens, naturalized citizens, and permanent residents apply as domestic students. International transcripts must be evaluated for U.S. degree equivalency and grade point average conversion. Transcripts should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

You may be required to submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Michigan Language Test (MLT) or provide other proof of English proficiency, as outlined here. U.S. citizens shall not be required to submit proof of English proficiency.

The MLT is administered by CSU's Testing Center, 216-687-2272.

Applicants who are not US citizens or permanent residents must follow the international application procedures, described here.

engaged learning

Click here to watch CSU's 5-minute tour video

    Mailing Address
    Office of Graduate Admissions Processing
    Cleveland State University
    2121 Euclid Avenue, MC 116
    Cleveland, OH 44115-2214
    Campus Location
    Campus 411, MC 116
    Phone: 216.687.5599
    Fax: 216.687.5400

    This site contains files that require the free Adobe Reader to view.